The Village of Cooperstown established the Zoning Law in 1935. This law implements the policies for land use in the Village which include:
- Preserve natural features and open space, vegetation, scenic attractions, and historic places and sites in order to maintain the community appearance and cultural heritage of the Village for residents and visitors alike;
- Provide protection of water bodies, lake and river shores, and control of future access to such shores by the public;
- Maintain the essentially residential quality of the Village;
- Provide public and quasi-public facilities that will serve the Village citizenry in the most beneficial manner;
- Provide suitable locations for commercial and other economic development that will protect the atmosphere and cultural heritage of the Village, serve the area adequately, and preserve the general welfare of the community;
- Preserve a safe, healthful and attractive environment for residential use, that provides housing opportunities for all Village residents;
- Provide public utilities and services to the community to insure a safe and healthful environment;
- Develop an efficient circulation and parking system that permits a reasonably rapid, safe, and convenient movement of people and goods within the Village and to and from surrounding areas.
The Village has three boards which operate independently each handling a different area of the Zoning Law. The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) meets the first Tuesday of each month at 5 PM and generally reviews Zoning Permit applications for individuals who are requesting variances to specific portions of the Zoning Law. This board also reviews applications for home occupations and short-term rental properties.
The Historic Preservation and Architectural Review Board (HPARB) meets on second Tuesday of each month at 5 PM and reviews Certificate of Appropriateness applications for proposed changes to the exterior of a property. A property owner who plans to make any exterior change to a property, including but not limited to windows, siding, additions, gazebos, pergolas, etc., would apply to HPARB prior to beginning any work.
The Planning Board meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 4:30 PM and generally reviews Sign Permit applications and site plans.
Minutes are taken at each zoning board meeting. We try diligently to complete the minutes in a timely fashion and will post them below as a pdf. The minutes posted below are in draft form and are subject to change prior to acceptance from their respecive board. If you are in need of a paticular set of minute they may be requested from the clerks office.